Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pre-IVF cycle testing...

Still not much to report over here.  I am just waiting for my next cycle to start so that I can get the ball rolling on our IVF cycle.

I never thought I would actually be excited for AF to show, but I kinda am.  At the beginning of this month, I got it into my head that maybe, just maybe, I would get pregnant naturally this month.  I know, it hasn't happened in 5 years, why would it happen now?  I just figured that maybe since we have finally started the IVF process and accepted in our minds that this is the path we must take, that maybe Mother Nature would throw us a curve ball.  Then I came to my senses and realized that was bat shit crazy of me.  Luck doesn't exist in my realm, and I know that.  So this week I am submitting the paperwork to withdraw all of our retirement funds to pay for this.  And this is everything we have, so shit better work out the first time.

Anyway, as of right now I have completed almost all of the pre-cycle testing.  I've done the saline sonogram and most of the bloodwork.  The husband did his pre-IVF SA (semen analysis) yesterday.  This test is more in-depth than the previous SA's because it includes an overnight test to better test how his sperm will hold up for the IVF fertilization process.  Based on the results of this test, my doctor will decide whether we need to do ICSI as well.  For those that are not familiar, ICSI (intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection) basically involves them taking one sperm and injecting it straight into one egg instead of just putting the sperm and the eggs in a petri dish together in a petri dish and letting the sperm fertilize the egg naturally.  However, if his sperm are not doing their job properly or my eggs are being bitchy and don't wanna play with them, they need a little help.  ICSI will definitely improve our chances, but it is also an added expense (hey, what is an extra $2k when you're already spending $14k, right?) and ups the risk chances just a bit since the egg can be damaged in the process.  So this test will determine what the doctor thinks is our best chance and help him decide what protocol to use for our cycle.

Although I am still second-guessing my decision (which is totally normal for me since I can never make decisions), I am feeling excited.  This also means I have gotten my hopes up, and I hope that isn't a bad thing.

I'll post more once all our test results are in :)


6 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you, I really hope you get your take home baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! I keep second quessing if we are going down the right path, but at the same time Im excited to try a new path, because hey maybe this new path will work out. Thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete