Sunday, November 3, 2013

The beginning of our IVF journey...

Sorry for the delay in posting about our latest RE appointment, but I have been so busy finishing up some crochet projects this week (oh yeah, I started a crochet business during my blogging hiatus to try to keep myself busy and to raise money for IVF.  More on this later).

On Tuesday, the husband and I drove out to meet a doctor at a different clinic.  I was so nervous after our last appointment when things didn't go the way I had planned.  But this appointment was soooooo much better.  For once, I didn't cry after the appointment.  In fact, I was excited to get started!  Dr. R is on the younger side (or looks like it at least), but that just means that he is open to newer processes and procedures, and he is still excited about his job.  He actually explained the whole IVF process in terms that the husband and I could understand---with pictures---which I think really helped the husband.  And he didn't just discount all of the research and knowledge I have picked up over the last 5 years of TTC.  That was probably what cemented the whole thing in my mind.  So many doctors have acted like I don't know what I'm talking about or just steamrolled me.  Dr. R actually mentioned that he was sure we know a lot of this already and he didn't talk down to us.  He didn't rush us, and waited until all of our questions were answered before moving on to the ultrasound.

After the appointment, I was told that the case manager assigned to me would be calling to explain the details and answer additional questions, and then the financial coordinator would get in contact with me.  Then he handed me a folder filled with documents and such.  I know, that sounds boring.  Why am I bringing it up?  Because the latest success rates were inside....and they are currently reporting a 74% pregnancy rate in my age group with only 1 embryo being transferred.  If I wasn't sure before, then that little sheet of paper pushed me over the edge.  Tell me where to sign up!

My case manager called Wednesday and again spent probably an hour on the phone with me answering all of my questions.  I am so excited because it may be possible to do the transfer before Christmas, which means so much to me.  I was really hoping to be pregnant by the end of the year, and I thought that my chances had already passed.  I need this kind of hope right now.  She also went over the pre-cycle testing requirements with me, and luckily I have time to get all of it done before my next cycle starts.  Hopefully I will start birth control pills when my next period starts (after CD 3 bloodwork), and then have my baseline ultrasound soon after that.

Now we just have to worry about the financing, which is always tough.  Well, unless you have $13k just laying around I guess!  Regardless, we are not letting money stand in our way.  We have waited too long for this, and I'm ready to start the next chapter of our lives.

I would love tips from anyone that has gone through this whole process before!

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. How exciting...good luck! I can't wait to follow along. -Char
    http://char-and-jared.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried a little reading this. It's your time love!

    ReplyDelete