Saturday, December 8, 2012

Missing gluten...

Yep, I jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon.  Let me tell you, I am NOT a fan (read: I miss beer).

As you all now know, I have what is referred to as Unexplained Infertility.  This is unacceptable to me.  Because of this "diagnosis" I have been doing my own research and looking for alternative therapies, supplements, etc.  While doing my research, I came across many articles discussing the link between gluten and infertility.  Apparently, there is quite a large number of women out there that couldn't get pregnant and couldn't find out why (sound familiar?).  When all else failed, they decided to cut gluten out of their life.  All of a sudden, they found themselves pregnant the natural way.  And I do mean all of a sudden.  We are talking like within 4 weeks.  I figure, what the hell?  It can't hurt.

Okay, I lied.  It does hurt.  For those of you that don't know me personally, I have to admit that I love beer.  Love it.  I love to drink a Corona Light on a hot Summer day, and I love to sip on a Pabst Blue Ribbon (keepin it classy) during a UFC fight with the husband.  I also love whole wheat bread and pastries and all that other great stuff, but it is really the beer that I miss the most.  Yes, there are now many different companies that make gluten-free beer.  Sorry, it just isn't the same.  No offense, but I find it kind of gross.  This is disappointing to say the least.  But, if the end result is me getting knocked up, I will give just about anything up.

One thing I hate about going "gluten-free" is the stigma attached to it.  It is such a fad right now and everyone is doing it.  To everyone else, gluten is a mystery.  I definitely didn't know until the whole gluten-free fad took off in the last year or so.  So now I am trying it.  I think I will try to go completely gluten-free for 3 months to see if it makes any difference with my fertility or just my health in general.  Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a learning curve here.  I will probably make a lot of mistakes and might even cheat a little because I am weak...but I am going to try.  Eating out is the real test, but I guess it just means I don't need to eat out as much as I do when the husband is around.

Wish me luck (and drink a beer for me)!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph, I have started reading your blog and just to give you encouragement. I had unexplained infertility for the past 4 years also. I started exercising daily in Jan 2012 and then went went gluten-free in September 2012. I ended up pregnant a month later! Though I did end up miscarrying at 9 weeks, what I took away from that whole experience was that I now knew I could get pregnant! I am currently still working on getting healthier. I hope to get to my goal weight by summer and try again. My hope for you is that you read this as an encouragement that gluen-free can possibly help you. I plan to keep reading your journey. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my blog and for your encouragement Kelly! Good for you in your success getting healthier, and I hope that you get your miracle soon!

      Delete